Building relationships toward transformation
Temporary Safe Outdoor Space For Those Experiencing Homelessness?
The Temporary Safe Outdoor Space (TSOS) is a 24/7, safe, secure, staffed, service-rich environment for those experiencing homelessness in Missoula. Equipped with 20 individual sites, the TSOS serves up to 40 individuals onsite as they pursue housing opportunities. Those who elect to participate in the TSOS program receive:
- Daily peer support from staff with lived experience
- Temporary shelter via provided tent/cot/sleeping bags/blankets
- Access to showers
- Hygiene items
- Care coordination with community resources
- Access to various outreach organizations for health needs
- Personal storage space for belongings
- Housing navigation assistance
- Assistance in obtaining necessary identification documents
- Employment assistance
- And more!
In the news
- Missoula County: “Reaching Home: Missoula’s 10-Year Plan to End Homelessness”
- Montana Right Now: “Outdoor homeless shelter in Missoula needing donations”
- Missoulian: “Officials: Missoula’s Temporary Safe Outdoor Space homeless camp running well“
- Missoulian: “Board OKs new shelter, chastises opponents“
- Missoulian: “Missoula making headway on housing, homelessness“
From our clients
… in the amount of $1,200.00. She and her husband were staying at a hotel that is currently transitioning into apartment space. She explained her situation and how she was working, but she needed to stop due to illness. We asked her to obtain a lease agreement from her landlord and then we would proceed from there.
This client, even though she struggled with cancer, still worked side by side with us to reach out for assistance. Her stamina to fill out forms and bring in items requested was amazing. She did not give up as we worked through the small steps needed to reach the goal of obtaining rental assistance for her. Through all of this, she wrote out a very detailed story of why she needed assistance from.
Since she did not have access to the internet, we typed the story for her and together we were able to obtain $800.00 to pay towards her rent. The remaining amount was covered by 549-HOPE and our church partners. Through this process, we were also able to do an assessment that will determine where she will be approved for permanent housing. We are proud of Josephine and know God has much in storefor her!!
… in the making! Thanks to the YOUR549-HOPE partnership, they received help with emergency housing resources including application fees, and are now in permanent housing. They have worked hard over the last year and we are incredibly proud to see how far they have come.
Provides needed supplies.
- Hygiene needs
- Laundry cards
- Emergency Food
Provides temporary shelter, safety, and basic needs
- Fuel cards
- Food gift cards (for specific needs food banks cannot meet)
- Clothes for employment needs
- Utility assistance
Provides shelter, safety, basic needs and HOPE.
- Housing navigation
- Rental assistance
- 1 week of recovery for 1 person at Grace House
- 1 week at the Temporary Safe Outdoor Space